Information for Patients
The Canterbury Charity Hospital was established by a trust in 2004 to provide FREE elective day surgery and medical outpatient clinics including for those in our Canterbury community who can’t access these services because they:
- Don’t qualify for the public health waiting list
- Don’t have medical insurance and
- Don’t have any other means of covering the cost of their treatment.
Our day surgery services include:
- General surgery (abdominal & lower colorectal surgery)
- Gynaecology, women’s health and family planning
- Ophthalmology (eyes)
- Orthopaedics (hands, elbows, minor shoulder, foot surgery)
- Oral Surgery (complex extractions, wisdom teeth, total clearance) – please note these are not general dentistry services (see below)
- Vascular Surgery (varicose veins)
We also provide:
- Dentistry including non-urgent extractions, root canals and fillings for WINZ (Work and Income New Zealand) clients through referrals from their dentist. We also offer wisdom teeth extraction, total clearances and complex extractions under general anaesthetic or sedation to patients aged over 18 and who meet the Trust’s financial and clinical criteria.
- Counselling for adults
Training and education
The Canterbury Charity Hospital also provides professional training, development and education for clinicians and also provides work experience for student nurses and other health professionals. Our interactive technology in our two theatres enables us to also run educational seminars.
Why are our services free?
Thanks to our wonderful team of over 280 unpaid volunteer surgeons, dentists, nurses, clinicians and other support staff, we can offer these free services to the people of Canterbury.
We rely on funding from a range of trusts and organisations, along with donations from the public. We receive NO government funding.
How do you access these services?
- You will need a referral from your GP/family doctor or dentist. Only counselling patients may self-refer.
- You will also need to provide some background information on your financial situation or proof that you are a WINZ client for our dentistry services.